Main Distribution Points
Agent-Based Models / Individual Based Fish Models
Digital Elevation Models
- Landserf -
LandSerf is a freely available Geographical Information System (GIS)
for the visualization and analysis of surfaces developed by Jo Wood.
- Terrain Analysis System
- Wilbur - Freebie... lets you play with raster elevations.
- ArcGIS 3D Analyst
- Terragen - Photorealistic Scenery Rendering Software
- TAS -
A free program developed by John Lindsay at Manchester. 'TAS is
designed to meet the research needs of environmental modellers and
managers while being simple enough to use in the classroom. TAS can
display both raster and vector types of geographic data, and possesses
many of the standard spatial analysis function that the environmental
- 3DEM Software for Terrain Visualization and Flyby Animation
- Raster Edit
- A handy utility written by Marco Van De Wiel for editing individual
cells within a raster DEM saved in the ASCII format from Arc GIS/View .
Also allows smoothing and interpolation between points.
- Surfer is a commonly used program for building and visualizing elevation
data. It is easy to use, but does not provide a lot of options for manipulating
data or performing analyses (plus it is not free).
- MapInfo is probably the largest viable commercial rival to ArcGIS
and is very popular amongst its users. Within IGES, we have a limited
number of licenses for various versions of MapInfo. We will not use
MapInfo in this course.
- An exercise using Matlab to produce digital elevation models.
Ecohydraulic, Hydroecology, Habitat Suitability Models and Patch Dynamics Models
E-Science and Grid Computing
- Harmoni-CA: Harmonised Modelling Tools for Integrated Basin Management
- GEON - Geosciences Network - Development of cyberinfrastructre in support of integrative geoscience research
- OpenMI - Open Modelling Interface
Watershed and Stream Network Delineation
Geomorphic Landscape Evolution Models
Morphodynamic or Channel Evolution Models
Photogrammetry from Oblique Imagery
Point Cloud Software
Structure From Motion - Point Clouds derived from Oblique Imagery
- Agisoft PhotoScan - 3D reconstruction software automatically builds textured 3D models using digital photos of the scene. Allows for precise textured mesh models reconstruction (not free but combines all of below in one package).
- SFM Toolkit - Structure from Motion Toolkit is a complete photogrammetry solution based on open-source software.
- Photoshynth-based Workflow:
- Microsoft PhotoSynth - See also PhotoSynth Composite Editor, and EcoSynth
- SynthExport allows you to extract the point cloud as well as camera parameter data of a synth on Photosynth.
Point clouds are downloaded automatically and converted to formats that
are compatible with most 3D graphics applications. Camera information
such as position, focal length and lens distortion of each image is
stored as a CSV file.
- JAG3D -For georeferencing exported pointclouds (see James Dietrich's instructions here for working with Photosynth exported point clouds)
- MeshLab - For processing and editing of unstructured 3D triangular
meshes from point clouds (free and open source)
Geomorphic Slope Stability Models
Grain Size Analysis Tools
Hydraulic Geometry and/or Cross-Sectional Analysis Tools
- Bedload Assessment for Gravel Bed Streams - Pitlick, John; Cui, Yantao; Wilcock, Peter 2009. Manual for computing
bed load transport using BAGS (Bedload Assessment for Gravel-bed
Streams) Software. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-223. Fort Collins, CO:
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research
Station. 45 p.
- Sediment Transport Primer: Estimating Bed Material Transport in Gravel-Bed Rivers - Wilcock, Peter; Pitlick, John; Cui, Yantao 2009. Sediment transport
primer: estimating bed-material transport in gravel-bed rivers. Gen.
Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-226. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of
Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 78 p.
Geeky but Useful Programs
- Convert: A little stand-alone
executable that converts between most imaginable units.
- CamStudio: An easy to use, open-source, video and voice screen capture software.
- Bulk File
- cygwin - A Linux Emulator for Windows
- UltraEdit - A very powerful
text editor (Not Free)
- TeXnicCenter - A very handy
editing environment for LaTex
- EndNote - A bibliographic database
package that interfaces with Word and BibTex (LaTex). Not free, but
well worth it.
- TernPlot for Matlab (A Matlab Script for making ternary diagrams)
- TernPlot for Excel (An excel program for making ternary diagrams)
- FolderMatch - A handy file/folder synchronization utility. Not free.
- EmptyFolderNuker - A free little GUI for deleting empty folders and making up for a bug in FolderMatch